In the event of a fire on campus the alarms will be sounded and the buildings will be evacuated. Maps showing the evacuation route are posted in each class room.
- In the event of a Fire Alarm/Fire Drill all occupants are to evacuate the building.
- The evacuation should be done in a timely manner. Please stay calm and walk to the nearest exit. See the evacuation maps for the nearest exit.
- Evacuation maps and Crisis guides that show the nearest routes for exiting the building are located in the doorway to the classrooms.
- The elevators shall not be used to evacuate the building unless directed to do so by fire dept. rescue personnel. (Exception) Elevators may be used by mobility impaired students if there is a fire wall separating the elevator from the fire danger area.
- At the beginning of every term the instructor should ask for volunteers from their classroom to assist persons with mobility impairment, in exiting the building during an emergency. In the event an instructor cannot find volunteers they shall notify the Director of Safety & Security. The Director will notify the instructor of the arrangements made to assist the individual.
- Evacuated personnel should stay a safe distance away from the building and out of the fire lanes. Instructors should predetermine a location his/her class will meet, when safely out of the building. Instructors shall ensure all of their students are aware of this location and can locate it. Safety & Security officers shall make sure that the emergency response personnel have access to the buildings. Instructors should take their class roster or other means of student accountability with them and account for every student in their class. In the case of a missing student the instructor should notify their supervisor or a Safety & Security officer immediately. Fire rescue personnel will then be advised that a student can not be accounted for.
- In the event of a Fire Drill or a false Fire Alarm, the Safety & Security officers will determine that it is safe to re-enter the building. When the all clear is given, the Safety & Security Officers and maintenance staff will notify everyone that they can re-enter the building. No one should re-enter the building until the all clear is given.
- Questions about this procedure should be directed to the Director of Safety & Security at 447-6985.
- Instructors and students with a mobility impairment should review “Procedures for Evacuating Students with a mobility impairment” revised 7-31-03.